The School Day
The School Day
School starts at 8.45am every day. Students should be in school no later than 8.40 am.
Student attendance is recorded in each class using VSware; parents/guardians are notified of absences by SMS.
8.45 – 10.41 Students attend two one hour long classes
10.41 – 10.54 Students meet with their Class Tutor or have mid-morning break*
10.54 – 11.07 Students meet with their Class Tutor or have mid-morning break*
11.07 – 13.03 Students attend two one hour long lessons
13.03 – 13.33 Lunch break – students may NOT leave school. A free hot luch is provided to all our students
13.33 – 15.29 Students attend two one hour long classes
School concludes at 15.29 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
And at 13.03 on Wednesdays.
*whole school does not take mid-morning break at the same time, while one half is at mid-morning break the other is meeting with their tutor and vice-versa.
Coláiste Éamann Rís was the first school in Cork City to move to one hour lessons.
(58 mins to be precise…)
Hour long lessons will benefit your child in numerous ways:
- Students participate in six hour long lessons rather than nine forty minute lessons – this achieves depth rather than breadth of learning.
- Six subjects a day also reduces the amount of time wasted by students travelling from class to class.
- Six subjects a day rather than nine means a lighter school bag!
- More time for group work. Research proves that students best through active communication with one another.
- In an hour long lesson, students are more actively engaged in learning through various activities.
- More time is devoted to allowing the student to think, question and reflect on what is being taught.
- Hour long lessons allow for greater opportunities to activate the key skills needed to face the challenges of adult life.